The Bridge

Image not available Image not available
The Bridge in c.1915
The Bridge in 2003


The redesign of the estate and re-routing of roads by Eckstein in 1910 included the digging of a deep cutting near The Bothy. This is recorded on 1911 Geological Survey map of the area. The bridge over the cutting survives until today and bears a sculpted emblem of unknown association on both elevations. The illustration of the bridge by Mais in 1931 shows that the main supports of the bridge were ornamented by ironwork braziers, but these have since been removed.